top navigation

Working in Healthcare

I've wanted to work in healthcare my entire life. When my great grandmother was getting homecare; I felt like that was something I wanted to do. The women who were constantly assisting her & empathizing with our family were idols to me. I was only 5 years old at the time but I still attempted to grasp the concept.

Years into the future, I had aspirations of becoming a doctor or nurse at the least. When I finished 8th grade, I enrolled in a vocational high school with the sole purpose of completing their Practical Nursing program (LPN) to make it more simple to become a nurse after graduation. I got my CNA certification in my senior year. I finished the program with average grades (my teachers were awesome people but not awesome teachers). Then when I applied for college... I said, "Fuck it: let's study Psyche."

Working as a CNA & attending college at Temple University opened my eyes. I enjoy healthcare, I'm always compassionate, but something didn't feel right. 2 years out of high school & one year after dropping out of college... I still don't feel right. The work comes easily to me & I know the information like the back of my hand but I'm unhappy. In high school, this used to excite me & I craved for more clinical experiences. Now I feel overworked, burned out, anxious, annoyed, and all sorts of negative emotions. I can't tell if it's me or the field. Do I need to rekindle this love or let it go & move on? Even then, what do I move on to? I'm only 20 years old; I don't know what my passion is...

This makes me think that I should revisit Psychology; too bad it's not a profitable field unless you're a doctor.

It's hard being a young adult in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment