top navigation

Natural Hair Journey | PART 1

If you've been to my blog before, you know that I've been contemplating a "Big Chop".

My hair is in it's natural state but I've recently gotten massive hair damage and breakage from stress and pulling my hair (not enough moisturizing & too many days of a lazy top bun) but mostly from heat damage.

My hair has been natural for about 2 years now. The last time I had a relxer was May 2011 (for my high school graduation) and that was when my hair was at it's longest: To my breast & near the middle of my back (I'm 5'8, that is pretty frickin' long man).



Before then... I wore many, many, MANY protective styles but most of the time... I had some form of braids. Actually, I had micros alot - extremely versatile.


Around August 2011, I started college with micros but I got really into making and buying wigs. For a whole year... I think I wore nothing but wigs and the only time I let my hair free was during bedtime.


I decided to move in with my boyfriend at the end of 2012 and then... I started wearing my natural hair out. I had gotten really lazy. I rarely mousterized my hair, I washed it often, and I didn't even try to do protective styles. I'd honestly been either flat ironing my hair or geling it up into a bun. That's it. From October 2012 to right now, July 2013, I've been either straightening my hair or putting it in a bun lol. I'm sorry, I take that back - one time I braided my hair before bed & wore a curly fro the next day because it looked cute and required less work than brushing my hair up before work haha.

Well, after months of personal & financial frustration and lack of hair maintence... I did it - I chopped it all off. Ok, not all of it, but most of it.

Most of my breakage seemed to be localizeed to the center of my head and the hair toward the front of my head still seems pretty healthy so I decided to give myself a pixie cut. I don't plan on showing it off quite yet because I ran into a few problems.

I just moved out of my apartment and into a condo with my mother. I cut my hair under the impression that she still had her clippers. I chopped most of my hair off with scissors and then when I looked for the clippers to begin shaving, they were nowhere to be found! She told me she had gotten rid of them years ago -_-. Wish I knew that beforehand because I look like a patchy mess.

Just think (Rugrats) Angelica's barbie, Cynthia. Lol Being home alone built an adventure for me, so after snooping in my mom's walk in closet _ found the most marvelous supply of Red Heart 100% Acrylic Yarn. You know what I did, right? I started Yarn Dreads! (Most people call'em Yarn Wraps) They're mostly black but I have a patch of red in here and I absolutely love it but... now I'm over it.

I'm a quarter into the hairstyle and I don't want it anymore! I took'em out! I'm having a hair crisis!

I'm about to pull a Britney Spears and just shave it all off!

I'm beginning to think that the issues surrounding my impulsive hair decisions reflect my current situation and emotions.

I plan on posting pics after I correct this massive disater. Also.. I'm posting from my phone so I'll add in the other pics later.

Update: This is what my hair currently looks like. All the areas of breakage have been shaved (back & sides of my hair) and the top has been left long... But I did trim it because it was uneven & I had split ends. Think of this as a "modified" pixie cut, I suppose.

                        


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment