top navigation

XBOX One & The Day One Patch


I rarely talk about gaming on my blog anymore, if at all, because it's been pretty dead. If we aren't talking about the actual titles coming out; conversations about consoles get really, really boring & annoying - quickly. 


Microsoft vs. Sony vs. PC Gaming.

I recently read an article that focused on an interview with Microsoft's senior director of product management, Albert Penello.

He was basically asked what Xbox users could do with and without the Day One Update and he said users "will be able to do very little without taking the day one update." As a matter of fact, he said that without it... we can't do anything at all.

So what does this really mean? 
Well, if you're as broke as I am - you're fucked.
I spent most of my Xbox 360 run WITHOUT Xbox Live. I couldn't afford to get a year's worth of Gold while I was in school... then I couldn't afford Gold when I got my own apartment either. When they started games with Gold, I got XBL a little more often because I was excited about some of the games I could never actually afford to buy when they first came out. Despite having them downloaded, installed to my device, & under my Gamertag; when I ran out of Gold - I couldn't even touch most of those damn games.

When you're getting an Xbox One, you just purchased a console that doesn’t work out of the box. Not working as in - no apps and NO GAMES -_-. Not only does it not work out of the box but there's a large chance that you won't be able to get it to work in 24hrs or several days. This goes for people who don't have internet connection to download the patch, but also people who DO have the internet; why? Well, the way the internet is set up, that much traffic (this is just my own estimate) from millions of people trying to download the same exact thing at the same time will have the same issue that Rockstar faced when they launched GTAOnline - too many people and servers going down.

Sony isn’t doing much better.

Sony’s restrictions on media on the PS4 and charging for online play when last generation the PS3 could play all kinds of media and you could play online for free doesn't actually make me shy completely away from the Xbox One. I mean; if you're addicted to RPG's - by all means, PS4 might still be the console for you. I've never really been to much of a big PlayStation fan after PS2, to be quite honest - so I don't care.

I'm a Nintendo girl at heart and they're almost completely out of this argument. Nintendo just works. Yes, they rehash some old titles. YES, they make new games out of old franchise characters. I will admit that using the WiiMote for Skyward Sword was a little, eh, BUT they went for it! It was innovation. Currently, they don't have a crazy amount of titles out for the WiiU but they have focus on specific games, like Wind Waker HD, that have proven they have the ability to give games longevity. Also, we're not even gonna talk about the Thrid Party Titles that are right around the corner (*cough, cough* Bayonetta 2 *cough*). I'm not even sure if the WiiU is categorized as a next gen console since it came out sooooo early but look at all their 3DS titles and how they came out with the 2DS. Nintendo is constantly finding ways to expand and meet the needs of their consumers. You might have thought the 2DS was dumb; I thought it was a good idea with Black Friday and Christmas coming up... an already cheap handheld becoming cheaper that can play all of the 3DS games? GENIUS. Nintendo's partnership with Square Enix for the game Bravely Default? They have so many of the right cards in their hands currently.

I feel like this is becoming a ramble, so let's end this here.



What's my verdict?
If you can afford a gaming PC - buy one or build one. If you’re on a budget - get a 2DS/3DS... or just stick to your current consoles. Xbox 360 still has 100 titles coming out in the future; not sure about PS3.

I'm excited to Preorder my A Link Between Two Worlds 3DS XL, which drops the same day as Xbox One - Nov. 22nd. (PS4 comes out Nov.15th).


Thanks For Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment