top navigation

Underground Comic Con

So... a few days ago, while I'm at work, my mom sends me this picture saying, "Hey, do you wanna go?"
I thought, "How cute, my mom is actually trying to be involved in my interests for once. You know what? I'm going because we might not have this opportunity again".

I know you're like, uhm... why not?

Well, Underground Comic Con is held in Wilmington, DE.

If you're from Delaware, you know that anything that reeks "fun" or "excitement" gets shut down, damn near, immediately.
...

Anyway; I've never been to anything "comic" related. I've been to 2 anime conventions in the past but never a comic convention because... I'm not really into comics for the stories - I just like the art.

To say the least, for something so small (probably because it was free), I was completely blown away!

90% of the authors and artists in attendance were POC. That's unheard of!

Everybody was so kind and encouraging. I really wish I was more prepared beforehand.There was so many prints and merch to be bought, there was a cute little cosplay competition, and I was ill prepared for EVERYTHING. For the most part, cash vs. credit was the issue - having the money via plastic but needing cash sucked soooo bad, because there were many prints that I looked forward to purchasing and I'd love to support all of the projects I witnessed but unfortunately, I'm a lazy, 20 year old, girl. I wasn't gonna go out of my way to hit an ATM tbh. Though, I did make sure to pick up everybody's business card, visit their sites, and follow or 'like' every page.

I would put up the cosplay pics but they actually came out worse than I thought... which sucks. Oh well.

Though everyone there gave me vital and useful pieces of advice, I was really intrigued after conversing with Shawn Alleyne. I'm gonna guess that it's because it's easier for me to relate to people in my age range. To keep this post short, I want to end by saying thank you - I appreciated your kind words, advice, and encouragement. I've actually been in the process of writing my own story but as much as I would like to work on the art for it; I suck. I don't mean that in a "I'm actually good but I don't see my art as good," kinda way ... I mean I still can't draw HANDS. Telling me to chase my dreams and not being cheesy about it while including your own personal story really helped to pull me out of a artistic block and an emotional rut.

I love everybody's art skill and stories pretty much the same but Shawn's story really grabbed my attention. This is the type of story I wanna read. This is the type of story I've thought about but nobody seems interested to write about. A comic with a BAD ASS, female protagonist with some hate in her heart? It felt like he basically took my essence, created me in a fictional world. It might sound like a pure fangasm (which it kinda is), but I was really, REALLY, loving his ideas and art so I bought as much as I could without breaking my bank account lol.

I bought a sketchbook & the dopest print from him. No regrets! Getting my print framed this weekend ^_^

For more information on other artists' who attended as well as their contact information or websites, just visit http://undergroundcomiccon.com/ because... I'm tired & it's almost 1am & I should sleep nao.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment